Live365 is dead, but to quote a line from an old Joshua Van Ness song, "I'm still here"
While BlowUpRadio.com utilized Live365 for the first 15 years of our existence, we've become much bigger than just the internet radio station. Our recently launched embedded playlists, and our first ever live Youtube broadcast this past weekend, proves the old adage, "when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade."
BlowUpRadio.com is going to continue to be, "Where NJ Rock Lives", in new (maybe even better) ways!
The next BlowUpRadio.com Guitar Pull at Espresso Joe's will be on Saturday February 13th and feature Thomas Johnston, Renee Maskin, and Tris McCall, with a special acoustic opening set from Little Dipper.
The show is free, all ages, and starts at 7pm sharp.
Espresso Joe's is at 50 West Front Street, in Keyport, NJ.
Latest Updates on BlowUpRadio.com
RECOMMENDATION: The Crookes - "lucky ones"
RECOMMENDATION: Publicist UK - "precious things" (Tori Amos cover)
RECOMMENDATION: James - "sit down"
RECOMMENDATION: Tim's Vermeer (movie)
RECOMMENDATION: Oh, Joy! - "idgafam (demos)"
RECOMMENDATION: Violent Femmes - "memory"
RECOMMENDATION: Boys In Crop Tops - "the hills" (The Weeknd cover)
RECOMMENDATION: The Voices (movie)
RECOMMENDATION: World Of Tomorrow (short film by Don Hertzfeldt)
RECOMMENDATION: Zoo Keys - "trudgin' on"
RECOMMENDATION: Complex Stairs - "52 weeks"
RECOMMENDATION: Anthony Stewart Head + George Sarah - "music for elevators"
What is it they say about the best laid plans...
Waking up Sunday morning, midway through our 'Blowing Up The Radio', final Live365 broadcast, to find that Live365 had already pulled the plug on all the stations, was a bit disappointing. However, it was kind of like ripping the band-aid off. Instead of Sunday being a maudlin final broadcast on Live365, it became our first webcast on Youtube!
Not having time to overthink it being the last Live365 broadcast, probably kept me from tearing up on air (though everyone saying way too many nice things about me made it difficult not to get choked up).
It also allowed for a great, unintentional last song played on Live365. Laree Cisco's live set closed out the first day of 'Blowing up The Radio', and his closing song, "do things!", will now forever be known as the last song played on our Live365 station. It is perfectly fitting in a couple of ways: we should always strive to do things and not become complacent and apathetic, and in losing Live365, it has caused me to be less complacent and try new ways to continue to promote the music I love!
You can check out Laree Cisco's song here: https://lareeciscomusic.bandcamp.com/track/do-things
Now I want to reiterate some of what I said at the end of yesterday's broadcast:
BlowUpRadio.com is not ending. We've just entered "phase 2" (for lack of a better way of explaining it), and we are continuing to look for new ways to promote good music.
I want to thank everyone whose music I have ever played on BlowUpRadio.com. The station and site are only as good as the music, and New Jersey has an amazing, and eclectic, amount of high quality musicians (as well as the world on my Lazlo's Den programs). Thank you all for making good music, and I can't wait to continue to play the new music you make!
Thank you to everyone who comes to BlowUpRadio.com because you want to seek out music you (sadly) are not going to hear on commercial radio stations. When I started this more than 15 years ago, I hoped there was an audience of people like me that wanted to hear the amazing bands they can actually see play out regularly in NJ, and you fine folks have proved that there is a need for BlowUpRadio.com.
I also want to thank my wife, who sadly missed this weekend's broadcast because she wasn't feeling well, but is generally a big behind the scenes part of the live broadcasts, and tolerates my little hobby here :)
BlowUpRadio.com means a lot to me. It is a labor of love for local music. It certainly isn't a way of making money...if that was my intent I probably would have abandoned doing this a long time ago.
It both emboldens me to keep doing this, and humbles me, that BlowUpRadio.com means a lot to so many others, musicians and music fans.
As I half-joked on twitter last night, "Everyone is being too kind. I'm starting to wonder if I died LOL!"
Now I am getting choked up again...
I will end this column as I have ended every broadcast on BlowUpRadio.com: Thank you for listening (reading), and thank you for supporting good music!
This week on BlowUpRadio.com Presents New NJ Music we have new music from:
1. Romp - "last year" from "departure from venus"
2. Abdel Torres - "Put the fun in funeral" from "'demo"
3. Oh, Joy! - "Cap'n Salty" from "idgafam (demos)"
4. Hannah Mary Burke - "Better, Not Bitter" from "Art Can't Be Bad!"
5. The World Turning - "A Treacherous Journey to a Broken Heart's Apartment" from "The Walk - EP"
6. Ian Matthew Keller - "Ain't no chosen one" from "21"
7. Aroarus - "Killer Instinct" from "Aroarus"
8. Jason Didner and the Jungle Gym Jam - "My Superpower" from "My Superpower"
9. Buggy - "sober" from "shity"
10. Son of Dov - "ML King (Jon Caspi cover)" from "ML King (Jon Caspi cover)"
11. J.T. Makoviecki - "Do Not Throw The Cause Away" from "American Songbook Vol. 3"
12. Joseph Alton Miller - "winding wheel (Ryan Adams cover)" from "Songs of Travel for the Vagabond"
13. Boys In Crop Tops - "The Hills (cover)" from "boys in crop tops | the weeknd"
14. The Chimney Sweeps - "eventually" from "demos"
15. Worn. - "I'll try" from "demo"
16. I Have Been Floated - "The Nassau Street Blues" from "Fine Vibrations"
17. Rob Jennings - "I can't call you" from "I can't call you"
This week on Lazlo's Den Presents New Music Week we have new music from:
1. Rage Of Angels - "nothing to brag about" from "Out Of The Garage Vol One"
2. The Clifftones - "bright side" from "Enemies Scatter"
3. Mavis Staples - "high note" from "Livin' On A High Note"
4. Sean McVerry - "marcy and the apparition" from "Kerosene"
5. Jumpcuts - "headlights" from "Fiber Optic Bondage"
6. Mandroid Echostar - "midnight sun" from "coral throne"
7. Garrett Klahn - "friday nights 1969" from "Garrett Klahn"
8. Dr. Dog - "bring my baby back" from "The Psychedelic Swamp"
9. Jack Shriner - "e. minor" from "The Fluid Ounce"
10. Violent Femmes - "memory" from "We Can Do Anything"
11. Buhu - "daytona beach" from "Relationshapes"
12. Baaba Maal - "fulani rock" from "The Traveller"
13. The Textones - "running (live)" from "Midnight Mission [reissue]"
14. The Chords UK - "I can't let go" from "Out Of The Garage Vol One"
That's all for this week folks.